Conisbrough & Denaby Main
The Collieries had their own shipping company to transport their coal.
In 1912/1913 the Denaby & Cadeby Main Collieries were given permission to anchor coal hulks offshore at Brixham, Devon, for twenty years. During 1912 - 13, 722 ships were re-fuelled with coal from these hulks and 667 in 1913 - 14. One of the ships was built in 1896 by Barclay Curle & Co., of Glasgow, acquired by the Union Steamship Co and named Susquehanna. She worked between South Africa and America. In 1921 she was sold to Denaby Shipping & Commercial Company (who changed their name to Denaby & Cadeby Main Collieries Ltd in 1924), the ship was re named SS London City. She was changed into a coal hulk and kept in Brixham Harbour for coal storage. In 1942 she was sunk in a German Air Raid in Brixham Harbour. Other vessels owned by Denaby & Cadeby Collieries were SS Edlington, built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Ltd., Middlesbrough in 1913, she was sunk by German submarine UC-54 on 23rd September 1918 south east of Sicily, there were no casualties. The SS Cadeby was sunk on the 27th May 1915 when 20 miles SW of Wolf Rock, Cornwall she was captured by German submarine U-41 and sunk by gunfire. Then there is SS Normanton owned by Denaby & Cadeby Collieries between 1912 and 1916. She was sold to the Rome Steam Shipping Company and yet again was sunk on the 1st October 1917 by German Submarine U 39, luckily there were no casualties.
Denaby & Cadeby coal hulks at Brixham Harbour
Shunting Engine Conisbrough