Conisbrough & Denaby Main
The following pages are extracts from local school log books. The information was researched by Carol Narey from Doncaster Archives and hold some interesting things.
There were several schools in the villages of Conisbrough and Denaby Main, but the Denaby Main Colliery school was sited next to the railway line. In the Victorian era and later, the passing trains made life difficult for teachers and children alike. Apart from the noise, the dirt and steam from the passing locomotives meant that windows had to be kept shut irrespective of the temperature in Summer.
All the schools were governed by the local School Board. The board determines the wages of teaching staff and also chose them.
8th September 1882
At the monthly meeting of the School Board, Mr Hills in the Chair the Clerk read a letter from the Education Department stating that my Lords could not consent to the Girls and Boys department of the Board School being made into one mixed department and strongly urged the Board to use the Compulsory powers of the Act to enforce a greater and more regular attendance of children.
Applications for the post of Headmistress were then considered and on the motion of Mr Kilner seconded by Mr Greaves, Miss Ceeles of Liverpool was elected.
It was resolved to invite tenders for painting the outside of the school and the Masters house.
School Board 1901
6th July 1901
For the election of seven board members of Conisbrough School Board which takes place at 11th July, the following have been nominated. William Appleyard, Clifton, farmer. Henry Baker, Holywell House, Brewers Agent, Thomas Rogerson Booth, Burcroft, Timber Merchant, John Brocklesby, Brook Square, Grocer, Arthur Dickinson, Beech Terrace, Check Weigh Man, John Gillott, Stone Hill Cottages, Brewers Traveller, George Henry Hirst, Northcliff, Miners Check Weigh Man, William Jones, Low road, Blacksmith, George Kilner, Lowfield House, Glass Bottle Manufacturer, William White Norwood, High Street, Veterinary Surgeon, Edward Ravenscroft, Rossington Street, Miner, David Robinson, Low Road, Bricklayer, William Wilson, Castle Cottage, Timber Merchant, Herbert Henry Wray, Strathmore, Pawnbroker and Auctioneer.
School Board 1903
22nd December 1903
Last night there was a discreditable scene at the monthly meeting of the Conisbrough School Board. It arose over a report of a recent inquiry concerning the alleged friction between the headmaster and the teaching staff at Station Road Mixed Schools. As a result of the inquiry it was recorded: That the Board expresses its entire confidence in Mr Sellars and his management of the Station Road School and that this resolution be conveyed to him verbally but that in future he posts rules affecting teachers in the teachers room. Mr Baker who opposed this resolution contended that it was not in accordance with the evidence and that Mr Sellars, the headmaster in question had exercised tyranny towards a fatherless assistant mistress. The discussion that followed was heated in the extreme.
The Chairman drew attention to the fact that of the eight teachers who had given evidence, six of them were in favour of Mr Sellars.
School Board 1904
22nd March 1904
Mr Brocklesby resided over a meeting of the Conisbrough School Board last night. It having been decided at a recent meeting that the salary of Mr Sellars, headmaster at Station Road Mixed Schools, should be increased to £200 per annum. However, the Master concerned had only started two years ago at a salary of £110 per annum. After one years service the Master got a £35 increase and after three months had applied for another increase. Mr Sellars had claimed that he was a Trade Unionist and a Radical. Mr Smith said the the other Headmaster under the Board had only reached £200 per annum after twelve year service. A motion was passed that agreed that it was unfair to give Mr Sellars such a large second increase in less than one year. After a lengthy excited discussion Mr Caleb Kilner said that he thought the 'rise' exorbitant. Mr Robinson said that he had been a Trade Unionist for over forty years but that he had never, in all of his experience never heard of a pay increase of 90%. He was not against giving Mr Sellars a pay rise but for goodness sake, let it be reasonable.
School New to Conisbro
18th June 1842
Classical, Commercial and Mathematical Academy
Conducted by R Graham at Conisbro
Mr Graham having been elected to the Mastership of the above school has removed his establishment from Doncaster to the beautiful village of Conisbro, where a limited number of young gentlemen (12) are genteelly boarded and liberally educated in every branch of literature 'requis te' for Trade, Commerce or Protession (possibly translation).
Mr Graham begs to direct public attention to his plan of education which he conceives to be peculiarly adapted to advance the Scholars. His improved system applies particularly to the art of Surveying and extends to Grammar, Geometry, Trigonometry, Mensuration, Accompts (accounts), Book Keeping and the other branches of learning the whole of which are taught in a plain and attractive manner and the acquisition of them so much facilitated that a liberal education may be required in a much shorter time.
Under ten years of age 20 guineas
Above ten years of age 22 guineas
Entrance 1 guinea
Washing 2 guineas
Latin and Greek 2 guineas extra
The above terms include instruction in reading, plain and ornamental penmanship, mental and mercantile arithmetic, book keeping, ancient and modern geography with the use of globes, practical geometry, trigonometry, mensuration, guaging, navigation, land surveying and algebra.
Each boy will bring a pair of sheets and a silver spoon.
Conisbro is distinguished for its amenity and salubrity.
An Assistant wanted. Conisbro School.
Researched by June & Tony Greathead
and used here with the permission of
Mrs June Greathead
The National School
A National School built on Clifton Hill in 1812 by public subscription. The schoolmaster received wages of £2 from a bequest of Richard Maxwell in 1612 plus rent from the two cottages under the Church Wall, (the Sextons cottage and one other), to teach four pupils free of charge.